[R-SIG-Mac] Missing qpdf

Matthew Heun m@tthew@heun @end|ng |rom me@com
Mon Dec 20 03:16:13 CET 2021

All:

I'm hoping this list is the right place to post this question.  If not, feel free to direct me elsewhere.  I also looked for a search option for this list but couldn't find one.  Sorry!

I'm on a new M1 Pro MacBook Pro.  (Yay!)  I installed the arm64 version of R and the latest version of RStudio.  I'm now setting up for package development with RStudio.  When checking any of my packages in RStudio (Build|Check Package), I see:

checking data for ASCII and uncompressed saves ... OK
   WARNING
  ‘qpdf’ is needed for checks on size reduction of PDFs

This warning does not appear on my Intel Mac.

I attempted the following to try to eliminate this warning:

* Installed qpdf (from https://mac.r-project.org/libs-arm64/) into /opt/R/arm64/bin.

* As suggested at https://mac.r-project.org/libs-arm64/, I added /opt/R/arm64/bin to PATH such that I see the following in the macOS Terminal app:

mkh2 using Mac91836 ~ % echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/Library/TeX/texbin:/opt/X11/bin:/Library/Apple/usr/bin:/opt/R/arm64/bin

and

mkh2 using Mac91836 ~ % which qpdf
/opt/R/arm64/bin/qpdf

However, the problem persists.

Is there something else I should be doing to eliminate this warning?

Any suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks,

Matt

P.S.  Many, many thanks to everyone who keeps R for Mac viable!  Your contributions are incredibly valuable.