[R-SIG-Mac] unable to install from source packages needing compiled C code

Adrian Dușa du@@@@dr|@n @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Dec 2 12:22:32 CET 2021

Dear All,

I am not sure when this started, presumably after upgrading my OS to
Monterey 12.0.1
With packages needing compilation, under a Terminal I get this error:

/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/include/R.h:55:11: fatal error:
'stdlib.h' file not found
# include <stdlib.h> /* Not used by R itself, but widely assumed in
packages */
          ^~~~~~~~~~
1 error generated.

I've searched over the Internet, the most common problem is the absence of
the Command Line Tools, but I do have those installed.

An old topic mentioned installing:
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/Packages/macOS_SDK_headers_for_macOS_10.14.
pkg

However the /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/ directory does not hold a
"Packages" subdirectory.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks very much in advance for any hint,
Adrian