[R-SIG-Mac] rgl in R version 4.1.1 Patched (2021-08-13 r80752)

Simon Urbanek @|mon@urb@nek @end|ng |rom R-project@org
Fri Aug 20 00:08:34 CEST 2021

R (and the CRAN builds) use more recent static freetype with harfbuzz support so it does not depend for those in XQuartz.

The issue is that rgl doesn't use sufficient flags to compile against freetype since it misses the dependencies - in fact is fails checks,
https://www.r-project.org/nosvn/R.check/r-release-macos-arm64/rgl-00check.html

pkg-config has to be used with --static --libs otherwise the linking doesn't have all the dependencies included that are necessary:

$ pkg-config freetype2 --libs
-L/opt/R/arm64/lib -lfreetype

$ pkg-config freetype2 --static --libs
-L/opt/R/arm64/lib -lfreetype -lbz2 -lpng16 -lz -lharfbuzz -lm -lglib-2.0 -lintl -liconv -lm -Wl,-framework,CoreFoundation -Wl,-framework,Carbon -Wl,-framework,Foundation -Wl,-framework,AppKit -lpcre

The CRAN binaries are built against static libraries to make sure the user doesn't have to install 3rd party dependencies.
It looks line rgl does the right thing for libpng but not for freetype.