[R-SIG-Mac] Building R 4.0.2 from source via clang/xcode for MKL on macOS

Simon Urbanek @|mon@urb@nek @end|ng |rom R-project@org
Tue Sep 29 23:41:43 CEST 2020

> On Sep 30, 2020, at 03:32, Prof Brian Ripley <ripley using stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> On 29/09/2020 12:27, Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:
>> To use veclib you need
>>    --with-blas="-framework Accelerate"
>
> Details are in the R-admin manual, including that R fails one of its checks.
>
> Simon's calling this vecLib is a bit misleading.  'vecLib' was a vectorized library for PPC Macs, and the name lives on for a small part of the Accelerate framework.  The part that supplies an enhanced BLAS is different, and is based on ATLAS for x86_64 CPUs.

This is just the way Apple names it (now on all platforms), the name has a long history and was related to PPC, but Apple chose not to change it even though it doesn't actually contain any PowerPC code anymore. Accelerate is just a stub that combines vecLib and vImage, and since R only uses vecLib it is sufficient to link to vecLib. I'm just referring to the actual framework involved and the vecLib framework itself contains all the libraries including LAPACK and BLAS ( https://developer.apple.com/documentation/accelerate/veclib ).