[R-SIG-Mac] Some introductory questions

peter dalgaard pd@|gd @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Sep 8 12:11:38 CEST 2020

Not work how? You need to tell us what kind of errors you see, otherwise, we can only guess.

I'd lose the file() construct. It sets up a connection object, which can be less than useful when read.table reads the file several time in order to decipher the column structure of the file.

So plain

filepath1 <- "/Users/michaelfeher/Documents/R Documents/COVID19/20200906-1822-total-cases-jones.data"

should be OK, provided that the file actually exists. In particular, check that the space in "R Documents" really is a space and not something that just looks like a space (no-break space is a common culprit).

If you can read the file, but it comes out weird, then you need to diddle the arguments to read.table, e.g.

> filepath <- "~/tmp/R files/test.data"
> read.table(filepath)
  V1 V2
1  x  y