[R-SIG-Mac] Some introductory questions

brodie gaslam brod|e@g@@|@m @end|ng |rom y@hoo@com
Tue Sep 8 04:04:18 CEST 2020

 > On Monday, September 7, 2020, 6:08:51 PM EDT, Mike Feher <mfeher1971 using gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> Here is a snippet of the code I was trying to start with:
>
> filepath1 <- file("/Users/michaelfeher/Documents/R
> Documents/COVID19/20200906-1822-total-cases-jones.data")
> filepath1
> TotalCasesJones <- read.table(filepath1)
>
> This definitely did not work for me.
>
> Mike

Mike,

There are probably a couple of issues here to think about:

1. Do you have reason to think this is a Mac specific issue?  If not
   this is likely not the right mailing list.  Perhaps r-help might be
   better, although I do think you will find more people willing to
   pitch in on Stackoverflow (but avoid cross-posting, so since you
   have already posted here you might need to hope someone is willing
   to provide you an answer).

2. The reason you are getting the reactions you are in this thread
   (apart from the mac-specific issue) is that there is not enough
   information for others to debug your problems.  E.g.  what does the
   file look like, in what way does it "definitely not work"?.  Do you
   get an error?  Or do you import something that doesn't look like
   what you expected?  These are all things that are needed by anyone
   that will want to help you, and it frustrates some that you are not
   providing them of your own initiative.

If I were in your shoes I would try my luck on stackoverflow, or
alternatively, read through several threads on R-help to figure out
how the Q/A process works there and ask questions in ways that are
likely to elicit answers.  This is not easy to do and take some work
to figure out, but when asking for folks time to help you it is a good
idea to try to do some home work ahead of time.

I speak only for myself, and sincerely hope this non-answer is helpful
to you even if it doesn't actually address your questions.

Best,

Brodie.