[R-SIG-Mac] Some introductory questions

Mike Feher m|eher1971 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Sep 7 01:31:46 CEST 2020

Greetings,

As I’m getting familiar with R, I have some basic questions that I thought
of to shoot to useRs:

1. When looking up library functions, symbols, objects, etc., is there a
Google-style “global search” capability for all that is available with my
installation?  Or is it just all accessible via navigating the help() tree?
2. Are these objects, etc. stored on disk somewhere, or are they only
accessible via the interfaces?  For example, I would be interested to see
the source code for the demo examples to learn how to do certain things, if
this is possible.  (It appeared as if the code for each demo that is
executed as part of the ‘demo()’ command displayed in my R console, but I
just want to be sure about this.)
3. How does one restore a saved session automatically?  Is that saved in a
file or files anywhere on the local filesystem?
4. I tried to read in a set of dummy space-delimited data saved in an
absolute path on my computer, but it would not work.  I tried something in
another path that did not have a subfolder with a space in it (I.e. I plan
on storing my data in a folder called “R Documents” or something similar)
and that didn’t work either, so I’m still wondering whether or not (a)
things have to be in the library location (it seems like you could
customize that) and (b) whether R recognizes spaces in file paths.

Please keep in mind that I am consulting the documentation first, but maybe
not doing a global Google search for examples of these things.  I’m trying
to remember to do both as I go along, so as not to bother everyone.

Regards and thanks in advance,
Mike