[R-SIG-Mac] Rstan compilation hangs misterisouly

Goncalo Ferraz g|@pp|e @end|ng |rom m@c@com
Sun Nov 8 21:16:03 CET 2020

Hi,

I’ve been struggling with an rstan problem for weeks. I installed R stan following instructions in https://github.com/stan-dev/rstan/wiki/RStan-Getting-Started#how-to-use-rstan <https://github.com/stan-dev/rstan/wiki/RStan-Getting-Started#how-to-use-rstan> to the letter, but when I try to compile any model R leaves me hanging indefinitely (I’ve waited up to 30 minutes with ridiculously short models). When I press esc R says:

Warning messages:
1: In readLines(file, warn = TRUE) :
  incomplete final line found on '/Users/gferraz/Documents/MAF/R/schools.stan'
2: In system(paste(CXX, ARGS), ignore.stdout = TRUE, ignore.stderr = TRUE) :
  system call failed: Result too large
3: In system(paste(CXX, ARGS), ignore.stdout = TRUE, ignore.stderr = TRUE) :
  error in running command

And then, R won’t quit. I can only close it by force quitting the software itself and some R process that is set in motion and appears in the Activity Monitor.

I have tried everything that was suggested in the stan forum, including deleting all the contents of /usr/local, removing xcode, R and re-installing everything again.

The only thing that I can think of now is to do a clean install of Mac OS on my machine and really start from scratch.

Anyone has a less radical recommendation?

Thank you,

Gonçalo