[R-SIG-Mac] obsolete LaTeX software in "R CMD check" on Mac?

Spencer Graves @pencer@gr@ve@ @end|ng |rom prod@y@e@com
Fri May 15 06:04:55 CEST 2020

Hi, Peter et al.:

       I'm still overwhelmed.

       To limit changes to things I think I understand, my
'/usr/local/texlive' directory contains subdirectories 2014, 2015, 2016,
2020, and texmf-local.  From your comments, I gather that the following
would be wise:

sudo rm -r /usr/local/texlive/2014

sudo rm -r /usr/local/texlive/2015

sudo rm -r /usr/local/texlive/2016

       I did this, and "R CMD check Ecfun_0.2-4.tar.gz" still ran to
completion without errors.

       I don't understand "ls -l /usr/local/bin | grep 'texlive/2016' |
awk '{print $9}'", but I did "ls -l /usr/local/bin | grep 'texlive/20' >
texlive_20.txt" and examined texlive_20.txt in R. I found it contained
451 lines like the following:

lrwxr-xr-x  1 sbgraves  admin        48 Jan 13 17:42 a2ping ->
/usr/local/texlive/2016/bin/x86_64-darwin/a2ping

       All had "2016".  I'm inferring from your comments that if
anything I do calls any of those 451 operations like "a2ping", I will
get "not found".  If I get that, I gather I'm supposed to "sudo rm
/usr/local/bin/a2ping" and hope that solves the problem.

       ???
       Thanks very much.
       Spencer Graves