[R-SIG-Mac] Can't open files in 4.0 or 4.01

Simon Urbanek @|mon@urb@nek @end|ng |rom r-project@org
Mon Jun 29 01:00:44 CEST 2020

Brandon,

Yes, this is of great help! It shows the the GUI spins in the segfault handler (it segfaults while rendering text which calls the R segfault handler which in turn tries to render more text etc. ...).
So first thing is to avoid the signal handler, run this command in Terminal:

defaults write org.R-project.R 'Disable R signal handlers' YES

Then download the debug version of the R GUI from

https://mac.R-project.org/

where it says Mac OS X GUI ... high-sierra-Debug.dmg - pick the one matching your R version (4.0 for release or 4.1 for R-devel). You don't need to replace your regular one, you can run it simply from the image. Note that it is signed, but not notarized, so right-click (=ctrl-click) on it and select "Open".

That will avoid the "hang" but will give a proper segfault with an Apple report so won't help immediately but will make it easier to pinpoint. Also it should include debug symbols with line numbers and all that. Please post the crash report.

Thank you for your help,
Simon