[R-SIG-Mac] Link-Time Optimization (LTO)

Jeroen Ooms jeroenoom@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Jul 15 10:50:49 CEST 2020

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 4:22 PM Prof Brian Ripley <ripley using stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> This is a rather technical post about how libraries of compiled code can
> be further optimized.  LTO generally produces smaller[*] and faster code
> (typically by a few percent) at the expense of increased installation
> time and is being used for large projects such as browsers and soon for
> some Linux distributions.
>
> I have committed a series of enhancements to LTO support in R-devel and
> will shortly port the more important of these to R-patched.

Would it be worthwhile looking into this for Windows? We did enable
support for LTO in the rtools40 toolchains*, but those are gcc-8.3.0
and some of the benefits require gcc-9.

* https://github.com/r-windows/rtools-packages/blob/master/mingw-w64-gcc/PKGBUILD#L166