[R-SIG-Mac] R-devel daily build lagging

Simon Urbanek @|mon@urb@nek @end|ng |rom R-project@org
Tue Jul 14 01:58:33 CEST 2020

Jim,

thanks, yes, you're right, the high-sierra nightly R-devel builds were suspended while I was re-working the package build system (it's all a bit more complex due to the legacy builds on El Capitan). I was re-building all the new VMs on the new hardware, and as of today we're finally on the latest build servers. This is mainly relevant for packages as that is the major load and has the highest complexity. So going forward everything should be back on the nightly schedule and there should be no lag anymore. If there is, please let me know.

I'm wondering if it would make sense to have a parallel setup at least for R build using GH Actions or something similar. It wouldn't be signed nor notarized, so the real reason I'm asking is what do you use the nightly builds for? If it's for development then unsigned nightly tar balls would be ok, but it wouldn't be used for users as they need at the very least signed binaries. The benefit of that is that it could be fully automated on GitHub so others could fork it or use for their builds if needed.