[R-SIG-Mac] build R for macOS with binary compatibility with CRAN

Simon Urbanek @|mon@urb@nek @end|ng |rom R-project@org
Fri Jan 10 03:52:06 CET 2020

Jonathon,

when you build R it requires the compiler runtime libraries from /usr/local. We don't want to require users to install compilers just to run R, so we supply copies of those runtime libraries in the lib directory.
You can replicate the way CRAN R is built using the CRAN build scripts in https://svn.r-project.org/R-dev-web/trunk/QA/Simon/R-build

There is a lot going on and there are many special cases for all the compiler generations we were using over the years, but I think the main part to look at for what you refer to is
https://svn.r-project.org/R-dev-web/trunk/QA/Simon/R-build/fixpathR