[R-SIG-Mac] is there an M1 virtual machine image available for linux?

Simon Urbanek @|mon@urb@nek @end|ng |rom R-project@org
Tue Dec 15 03:54:12 CET 2020

I don't think that is feasible (assuming you mean macOS 11 arm64 system running in a VM). Note that M1 is not just the CPU, there is much tighter integration of all the components so you'd have to emulate a lot more than that and also all the Apple security components etc. in order to be able to boot macOS on an arm emulation. It is possible to run Intel macOS in a VM on an Intel Mac, because there is the pass-through to the underlying hardware for things that cannot be emulated, but I suspect that is not possible for the arm version. You can certainly run Linux in arm emulation, but I don't think you can expect macOS to work that way anytime soon.