[R-SIG-Mac] Using XQuartz - any known issues?

Fox, John j|ox @end|ng |rom mcm@@ter@c@
Tue Apr 21 05:55:21 CEST 2020

Dear Niall,

> On Apr 20, 2020, at 3:42 PM, ANDERSON Niall <Niall.Anderson using ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> I’m relatively new to MacOS and have only recently started trying to use XQuartz to enable me to run Rcmdr. Are there any common issues/ tips for getting good performance out of it (or should it usually run well with default settings)?
>
> On first installation, I found there was a very long lag in menus being populated (i.e. the menu shape was generated, but no usable options were added), to the extent that Rcmdr was then effectively useless (not Rcmdr’s fault, I don’t think). One of my students suggested reducing Output Colors option from the default “Millions” setting. That seems to deal with the problem, thankfully.
>
> Is that typical of XQuartz, and is there anything else I should be doing to get the best performance from it?

I haven't observed the problem you describe on my Mac, which is a three- or four-year-old MacBook Pro (that is, the Rcmdr dialogs display reasonably crisply for me), and I haven't done anything special to configure XQuartz. Here are the specs for my Mac:

 Model Name:	MacBook Pro
  Model Identifier:	MacBookPro13,2
  Processor Name:	Dual-Core Intel Core i7
  Processor Speed:	3.3 GHz
  Number of Processors:	1
  Total Number of Cores:	2
  L2 Cache (per Core):	256 KB
  L3 Cache:	4 MB
  Hyper-Threading Technology:	Enabled
  Memory:	8 GB

It might help to have some more information. I assume that you're using the most recent versions of R, the Rcmdr package, and other packages, and a recent version of macOS. What Mac do you have, and did you reboot it after installing XQuartz? If you updated R, did you reinstall XQuartz?

Best,
 John

  John Fox, Professor Emeritus
  McMaster University