[R-SIG-Mac] OpenMP on CRAN

Balamuta, James Joseph b@|@mut2 @end|ng |rom ||||no|@@edu
Thu Apr 2 19:31:31 CEST 2020

Kevin,

Simon discussed why they opted to avoid this back in June '19 when Jon Clayden brought up a similar success.

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2019-June/012998.html

The sentiment was using the system compiler is in manner is unsupported and works only on some systems. I'm not sure with the OS bump whether there still is disparity across 10.13/14/15.

That said, I do agree with Tim that it would be nice to have OpenMP enabled-by default. But, I'm also equally okay with it being disabled to simplify workflow and encourage more parallelization through snow/future as getting into parallelized compiled code with R has far more dragons afoot.

Best,

JJB