[R-SIG-Mac] Transitioning from Mac to LInux?

Rainer M Krug R@|ner @end|ng |rom krug@@de
Thu Apr 2 10:03:27 CEST 2020

I am using Homebrew on a Mac (two Macs - one at home, one at work) instead of the official R package, and I did not have any problems after upgrades - maybe I am lucky, maybe not as picky in defining “problem”, but my suggestion would be to try R from homebrew to install R.

OK - no support from here - I know.

And homebrew has also binary versions. What is missing, is a hombrew R package repository. Maybe an idea to create one?

Cheers,

Rainer

> On 2 Apr 2020, at 02:37, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan using gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 01/04/2020 2:48 p.m., Carl Witthoft wrote:
>>   If I should ask over at r-sig-debian instead of here, please tell me.
>> I don't wish to clog r-sig-mac with off-topic stuff.
>> I've been watching the massive headaches people are dealing with trying
>> to keep R fully compatible with each MacOS X upgrade,  I'm wondering
>> whether replacing my iMac (2009) with a new Mac really makes sense from
>> an R - user point of view, as opposed to getting some inexpensive
>> desktop and installing Linux.  I know I can run R and RStudio under
>> Linux, for example,  but don't know what limitations, if any there are
>> when it comes to building packages from source, getting compatible
>> compilers,  and so on.
>> What have some of you 'power R users' discovered when/if you tried to
>> build , or incorporate Bioconductor or other repository's packages under
>> Linux?
>
> If your iMac is still working, try installing Ubuntu or some other Linux on it.  I think at that age Apple is no longer providing upgrades, but I just put Ubuntu on a 2008 iMac, and it works well.  (I needed to upgrade the memory, but that just cost $40 for 4 GB.)
>
> So I got a $40 desktop, with a nice screen.
>
> Duncan Murdoch

Orcid ID: 0000-0002-7490-0066

Department of Evolutionary Biology and Environmental Studies
University of Zürich
Office Y34-J-74
Winterthurerstrasse 190
8075 Zürich