[R-SIG-Mac] Installing CRAN binary packages with R 4.0 installed from source crashes R

Hervé Pagès hp@ge@ @end|ng |rom |redhutch@org
Thu Apr 2 08:47:36 CEST 2020

Hi Simon,

After installing R 4.0 alpha from source on a macOS Mojave system, R
won't let me use type="both" to install CRAN packages. I get:

   Error in install.packages("rJava", type = "both", repos =
"https://cran.r-project.org") :
     type == "both" can only be used on Windows or a CRAN build for macOS

OK so this suggests that the CRAN binary packages for R 4.0 are not
compatible with my R. Surprisingly though using type="mac.binary"
doesn't complain and lets me install these binaries. But then trying to
load them causes segfaults. I've tried this with rJava, Rcpp, ggplot2,
and doing library() on any of them crashes my session. Note that
installing all these packages from source works without any problem.

So my questions are: is it the case that CRAN binary packages are not
meant to be used with an R 4.0 installed from source? If yes then why
isn't type="mac.binary" blocking this like type="both" does?

Thanks,
H.

 > sessionInfo()
R version 4.0.0 alpha (2020-04-01 r78132)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin18.7.0 (64-bit)
Running under: macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Matrix products: default
BLAS:   /Users/biocbuild/bbs-3.11-bioc/R/lib/libRblas.dylib
LAPACK: /Users/biocbuild/bbs-3.11-bioc/R/lib/libRlapack.dylib

locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:

[1] compiler_4.0.0

--
Hervé Pagès