[R-SIG-Mac] Please test R 4.0.0 pre-releases!

Balamuta, James Joseph b@|@mut2 @end|ng |rom ||||no|@@edu
Thu Apr 2 05:21:00 CEST 2020

Simon,

I sent a PR that updates the Travis CI to use the R 4.0.0 branch as R-devel and new gfortran binaries.

https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-build/pull/1885

I'm waiting to hear back from the community maintainers if they are interested in pulling in binaries from

http://mac.r-project.org/libs-4/

Best,

JJB

On 4/1/20, 5:01 PM, "R-SIG-Mac on behalf of Balamuta, James Joseph" <r-sig-mac-bounces using r-project.org on behalf of balamut2 using illinois.edu> wrote:

    Simon,

    Thank you for the quick response!

    >  1. correct, there was too much trouble in this. But please feel free to start a new thread about this here if you have strong opinions.

    Best news leading into R 4.0.0.

    > 2.  we're talking about the oldest system that our binaries will run on, so 10.13 is actually very aggressive.

    Okay.

    > There is still a very significant portion of users that have older versions of macOS and cannot upgrade. Apple is interested in selling new products, we are interested in supporting people that need a statistical software regardless of their income.

    Agreed. When I asked this question, I was worried about the backwards compatibility issues arising from the new security model enacted on 10.14/10.15 that caused installer signing problems in R 3.6.3.

    >    3. not at all. As I said, 10.13 is already way too high, in fact we picked it precisely so we don't need to change it for several years.

    Great to hear 10.13 will be the default for several years to come! As an added benefit, it is the last version with support for NVIDIA eGPUs.

    Regarding Travis, I'll update the build script here with the new changes.

    https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-build/blob/ab196aed5b227288a2f4dcb5c7822868b430b110/lib/travis/build/script/r.rb

    Best,

    JJB