[R-SIG-Mac] Xcode/CLT 11

Prof Brian Ripley r|p|ey @end|ng |rom @t@t@@ox@@c@uk
Thu Sep 12 07:44:48 CEST 2019

As a test (I would not recommend it), I installed Command Line Tools 11
on my Mojave machine.

1) As expected, it does not contain any macOS_SDK_headers_for_macOS
package, so the second approach in
https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-devel/R-admin.html#Recommended-C_002fC_002b_002b-compilers
is needed to use the non-Apple builds of clang.  If you do not need
OpenMP support, one can simple use the CLT's compilers.

2) This contains the SDK for 10.15 (as did CLT 10.2.1).  However, it
conditionally declares timespec_get, a C11 function that is finally
added in 10.15.  autoconf does not understand the conditioning, so R's
configure defined HAVE_TIMESPEC_GET in src/include/config.h.  I have
worked around this in R-patched and R-devel, but for earlier versions of
R simply comment out that line in src/include/config.h after running
configure and before make.

--
Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley using stats.ox.ac.uk