[R-SIG-Mac] R-patched installers cannot be run on Catalina

Kevin Ushey kev|nu@hey @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Oct 11 19:59:34 CEST 2019

Hi,

I'm seeing the following when I attempt to install R-patched, as from
http://mac.r-project.org/:

---

“R-3.6-branch-el-capitan-signed.pkg” can’t be opened because Apple
cannot check it for malicious software.

This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

---

I suspect this is pain being imposed by the requirement for notarized
applications / installers. The dialog can be overridden through the
Security & Privacy preferences pane, but Apple does not make this
obvious.

The official R 3.6.1 installer is not affected; likely because it was
grandfathered in due to its being published before Catalina was rolled
out.

Are there plans to notarize these builds of R? (can we be helpful in
making that happen?)

Best,
Kevin