[R-SIG-Mac] Apparent interaction between XQuartz and the Catalina (10.15) macOS upgrade

Marc Schwartz m@rc_@chw@rtz @end|ng |rom me@com
Wed Oct 9 16:22:21 CEST 2019

Bob,

If you have not tried to actually delete the relocated files folder, with the X11R6 symlink and then empty the trash, you have not experienced the issue in question.

In the past 24 hours, as a result of an increasing number of people upgrading to Catalina, the number of posts on the relocated files issue found via a Google search have increased by a magnitude.

Many of these are people simply expressing surprise at the new folder showing up on their desktops, but an increasing number are relevant to the specific issue that I raised, in not being able to delete these files from the trash and then having to go into Recovery mode to deal with it.

That is not an acceptable solution for non-technical users, and the XQuartz folks need to address it specifically, but it is likely that Apple will need to address it more broadly.

Regards,

Marc