[R-SIG-Mac] Apple Clang does support OpenMP (if libomp is available)

Jon Clayden jon@c|@yden @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Jun 6 12:42:35 CEST 2019

Dear all,

Lack of OpenMP support in Apple’s build of Clang is cited as one
reason for not using it in CRAN builds, but this is only partly true:
after installing libomp from Homebrew, I have been adding
“-Wp,-fopenmp” to CXXFLAGS and CFLAGS (and “-lomp” to LIBS) to my
builds for a while, and everything seems to work OK.

I’m not sure how far back this support goes (and I haven’t tried the
Xcode 11 tools yet), but is there any known reason not to take this
approach, and if not, would it make sense for R’s configure script to
try “-Wp,-fopenmp” when testing for OpenMP support?

All the best,
Jon