[R-SIG-Mac] RSwitch 64-bit

Simon Urbanek @|mon@urb@nek @end|ng |rom R-project@org
Fri Aug 30 01:06:48 CEST 2019

Bob,

It would be likely easier just to ask ;) the sources are still there in the original 2006 SVN repo:

http://svn.rforge.net/osx/trunk/RSwitch/ <http://svn.rforge.net/osx/trunk/RSwitch/>

It’s really just a very tiny utility, but works on Catalina as well. I can try to build it on the CRAN machine so it will match the current R binaries and thus support the same OS X/macOS versions (assuming it’s not using something too new that’s incopatible).

I like the idea of the a menubar app - if/when you’re happy with your app, let me know and I’ll have a look. My only concern is to keep the R layout and detection in sync so if you are willing to contribute it we I can add it to the CRAN section.

Thanks,
Simon

> On Aug 22, 2019, at 5:07 AM, Bob Rudis <bob using rud.is> wrote:
>
> On http://mac.r-project.org/ (which shld prbly be re-titled to "R for macOS Developer's Page"…I'd file a PR for that but do not know where that website source tree is maintained) there's a tiny binary at bottom of the page that enables switching of the `Current` R framework alias via a GUI.
>
> TLDR: It's 32-bit and the source links stopped working even when the site was homed @ AT&T. As a result, it's unusable on the forthcoming Catalina GA release.
>
> I have no idea how popular said tool is, but it's handy, so I threw together a Swift 5 version of it (and set a minimum macOS target of 10.14 since I cannot ethically enable use of woefully insecure operating systems).

[OT]
Well, that’s nice, but leaves a many users especially those that cannot afford to buy a new Mac every year in the dark so the so-called “ethical” consideration is rather questionable since it’s rather the opposite. I would certainly want to make sure it works on OS X systems that are supported by CRAN.