[R-SIG-Mac] Blank help window

Marc Schwartz m@rc_@chw@rtz @ending from me@com
Fri Oct 19 01:52:40 CEST 2018

Hi,

Ok, that confirms the issue, as surmised.

The default hosts file on macOS typically contains the following entries:

##
##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost

Somewhere along the way, the content of that file has been changed and the above content deleted, possibly by whatever VPN configuration process was implemented at some point.

Ben, if you know how to edit and save the /etc/hosts file, which should require the admin password, add the above lines before the #BEGIN line in the file as it is now.

I would recommend saving the current version of the file, before you start editing, just in case. So, from the terminal, use something like:

  sudo cp /etc/hosts /etc/hosts.SAVE

If you are not sure how to edit the file, here is one resource:

  https://www.imore.com/how-edit-your-macs-hosts-file-and-why-you-would-want

and there are others online as well.

Once you do that, hopefully, that will resolve this issue.

Marc