[R-SIG-Mac] Blank help window

Marc Schwartz m@rc_@chw@rtz @ending from me@com
Fri Oct 19 01:08:12 CEST 2018

Ok, I think that Peter and Duncan are on to the key issue here.

I have been trying to figure out what the difference is between displaying HTML help in R.app versus in the terminal and we now know.

If running R in R.app, where .Platform$GUI == "AQUA", the key line in the HTML browser display process is:

  x <- gsub("http://127.0.0.1 <http://127.0.0.1/>", "http://localhost <http://localhost/>", x, fixed = TRUE)

where the IP address in the help file URL ('x') is changed to localhost. That does not happen when running R from the terminal and the IP address is used.

In other words, a url something like:

  "http://127.0.0.1:27572/library/graphics/html/plot.html"

gets regex'd to:

  "http://localhost:27572/library/graphics/html/plot.html"

Typically there is an entry in /etc/hosts that maps 127.0.0.1 to localhost. If that entry is not present, then the OS does not know how to map the domain 'localhost' to a physical IP address, much like a DNS server could not map an internet domain name to a physical server IP address.

Ben, if you are not sure about how to look at /etc/hosts per Peter's message below, you can use:

  cat /etc/hosts | grep localhost

in a terminal and see what it returns.

Marc