[R-SIG-Mac] Blank help window

Marc Schwartz m@rc_@chw@rtz @ending from me@com
Thu Oct 18 17:49:43 CEST 2018

Hi Ben,

Ok, if I read correctly, it looks like you must have started R in the terminal using 'R --vanilla', based upon the file name below.

In that case, R should bring up help pages in the terminal using the internal text pager, as opposed to externally in a browser with HTML.

Start R in the Terminal just using 'R' and see what, if any, differences there are in the output of options() in that case.

Grasping at another straw, let's change the default browser in R.app to see if using an external browser, instead of the built-in browser, behaves differently.

As it turns out, from discussions some years ago, it is a bit more complex with R.app, as it does not honor the usual options() settings.

So, with R.app NOT running, in a terminal, use:

  defaults write org.R-project.R use.external.help YES

and hit enter.

Then, start R.app and try to use help again and see what happens.

To restore the default use of the internal R.app browser, exit R.app and in a terminal, use:

  defaults delete org.R-project.R use.external.help

and hit enter.

See if that does anything.

Marc