[R-SIG-Mac] pasting from the clipboard

Marc Schwartz m@rc_@chw@rtz @ending from me@com
Wed Oct 3 16:09:39 CEST 2018

> On Oct 3, 2018, at 9:22 AM, Robert Baer <rbaer using atsu.edu> wrote:
>
> My memory is that  on the Mac
>
> dat = read.table(file = pipe("pbpaste"), header = TRUE)      # should allow me to paste a dataframe copied from a spreadsheet into R.
>
> When I try that in RStudio 1.1.456 with R 3.5.1 on OSX 10.13.1
>
> I get the message:
>
>   incomplete line found by readTableHeader on 'pbpaste'
>
> Could anyone explain this message to me,  and more importantly, tell me the proper way to paste a dataframe copied to the clipboard from Excel on the Mac?

Hi,

The default cell (field) delimiter with Excel is the TAB character, so you want to use something like:

  read.table(pipe("pbpaste"), sep = "\t", header = TRUE)

Note that you will likely get a warning along the lines of what you got above, which I believe is due to Excel not having an EOL for the final row in the clipboard.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz