[R-SIG-Mac] Tools Update for R3.5?

Roger Koenker rkoenker @ending from illinoi@@edu
Sun May 27 12:15:36 CEST 2018

Maybe this would provide a little more explicit information about what is going wrong:

/usr/local/clang6/bin/clang -I"/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/include" -DNDEBUG   -I/usr/local/clang6/include   -fPIC  -Wall -g -O2  -c init.c -o init.o
In file included from init.c:1:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/include/R_ext/RS.h:34:11: fatal error: 'string.h' file not
      found
# include <string.h>            /* for memcpy, memset */
          ^~~~~~~~~~
1 error generated.
make: *** [init.o] Error 1

> On May 26, 2018, at 5:35 PM, Koenker, Roger W <rkoenker using illinois.edu> wrote:
>
> Humm…  without the F77 and FLIBS lines I get lots of complaints about:
>
> 	… error: unsupported directive '.stabs’
>
> that some from using the old version of gfortran that still exists in /usr/local/bin
> With them the gfortran runs nicely, but the first occurrence  of a C routine produces
> the error detailed below.  Obviously, there is something fishy with my setup, but
> I thought that fresh R and the two tools packages should have all fitted together.
> Thanks again for your suggestions.
>

>> On May 26, 2018, at 4:20 PM, Berend Hasselman <bhh using xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>

>>> On 26 May 2018, at 15:17, Roger Koenker <rkoenker using illinois.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks Berend  that helps considerably,  I added something for gfortran as follows:
>>>
>>> CC=/usr/local/clang6/bin/clang
>>> CXX=/usr/local/clang6/bin/clang++
>>> LDFLAGS =-L/usr/local/clang6/lib
>>> F77=/usr/local/gfortran/bin/gfortran