[R-SIG-Mac] Replication runtime error on MacOS build machines

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at R-project.org
Mon Mar 5 21:34:58 CET 2018

Jim,

it’s hard to replicate anything with the package, because it’s messing with the filesystem in random places (really, a violation of the CRAN policy*! You should fix that as well - although running it properly would likely hide the segfault bug ;)). Here is the stack trace:

Process 46691 stopped
* thread #1: tid = 0x303a8b, 0x000000010262e351 fs.so`stat_(path=<unavailable>) + 2705 at file.cc:204, queue = 'com.apple.main-thread', stop reason = EXC_BAD_ACCESS (code=1, address=0x0)
    frame #0: 0x000000010262e351 fs.so`stat_(path=<unavailable>) + 2705 at file.cc:204 [opt]
   201 	#else
   202 	    group* grp;
   203 	    grp = getgrgid(st.st_gid);
-> 204 	    SET_STRING_ELT(VECTOR_ELT(out, 6), i, Rf_mkCharCE(grp->gr_name, CE_UTF8));
   205 	#endif
   206
   207 	    REAL(VECTOR_ELT(out, 7))[i] = st.st_rdev;
(lldb) bt
* thread #1: tid = 0x303a8b, 0x000000010262e351 fs.so`stat_(path=<unavailable>) + 2705 at file.cc:204, queue = 'com.apple.main-thread', stop reason = EXC_BAD_ACCESS (code=1, address=0x0)
  * frame #0: 0x000000010262e351 fs.so`stat_(path=<unavailable>) + 2705 at file.cc:204 [opt]
    frame #1: 0x00000001026344a6 fs.so`::_fs_stat_(pathSEXP=0x00007f825b8ba068) + 134 at RcppExports.cpp:73 [opt]
    frame #2: 0x0000000100a003ca libR.dylib`R_doDotCall(ofun=<unavailable>, nargs=<unavailable>, cargs=<unavailable>, call=0x00007f825b1d0eb0) + 2282 at dotcode.c:570 [opt]
    frame #3: 0x0000000100a3d71b libR.dylib`bcEval(body=<unavailable>, rho=0x00007f825b1d1cd0, useCache=<unavailable>) + 53899 at eval.c:6962 [opt]
    frame #4: 0x0000000100a2fe31 libR.dylib`Rf_eval(e=<unavailable>, rho=<unavailable>) + 577 at eval.c:624 [opt]

It looks like a true bug - you’re not checking for the case where grp is NULL (btw you have the same bug above for getpwuid).

* - quote:

"The code and examples provided in a package should never do anything which might be regarded as malicious or anti-social”
[…]
"Packages should not write in the user’s home filespace (including clipboards), nor anywhere else on the file system apart from the R session’s temporary directory (or during installation in the location pointed to by TMPDIR: and such usage should be cleaned up).”