[R-SIG-Mac] Different performance with different R versions

Cowan, R (MERIT) r@cow@n @ending from m@@@trichtuniver@ity@nl
Wed Dec 12 17:39:54 CET 2018

 I am running a small simulation, and getting very different run times when I use different versions of R.
   Two set-ups using the same machine (MacBook Pro 2013 vintage)

   1. R version 3.1.3  running on system OS X 10.9.5

> system.time(source("simulationR-R.R"))

     user  system elapsed
     3.890   0.061   3.965

   Compared to

   2. R version 3.5.1  running on system OS X 10.12.6

> system.time(source("simulationR-R.R"))

     user  system elapsed
   277.924   2.087 280.841

The source code is identical. This is a pretty big difference running the same code on the same hardware.
Before submitting the code, is this a known issue?

Thanks,
Robin Cowan