[R-SIG-Mac] Macports installation problem

clark richards clark.richards at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 14:47:38 CEST 2017

Interesting discussion, even if it is technically off-topic (i.e. is about
a Macports issue rather than an R issue).

For myself, I have found instances where I needed to install R through
non-standard channels (my choice lately has been homebrew). This was
largely related to having the required system tools necessary for a package
development environment that permits the compilation of C/fortran code and
some system libraries (gdal, etc). As Don and others pointed out many such
dependencies should be available through the OSX R develop page (forget the
address right now ...), I have some older machines for which those
precompiled binaries do not install, including a 9 year old Macbook which
will run OSX up to ElCapitan but is not compatible with the newer binaries.
In that case, in order to have an R and gfortran that played together I had
to use homebrew as I could not find a binary gfortran that would work for
my architecture.

I love working on OSX, though I have often lamented the difficulties in
getting a suitable package development environment configured -- at least
compared to Windows (just install Rtools.exe) and Linux (everything
required is easily installed from the distro package manager).

Clark