[R-SIG-Mac] Macports installation problem

Robert Baer rbaer at atsu.edu
Thu Oct 19 20:25:36 CEST 2017

-- snip --

>>> I think using MacPorts might actually be the "error" that needs correction. I would suggest an alternate strategy. Go to http://r.research.att.com/libs/ and get the appropriate version of cairo, probably the most recent one.
>>>
>>> http://r.research.att.com/libs/cairo-1.14.2-darwin.13-x86_64.tar.gz
>>>
>>> Scroll down to the bottom of that page and an appropriate modification of the two lines for unpacking to the root.
>>>
>>> curl -O http://r.research.att.com/libs/cairo-1.14.2-darwin.13-x86_64.tar.gz
>>> sudo tar fvxz gmp-4.2.4-darwin8-bin4.tar.gz -C /
Even though its not my question, I appreciate the specific
recommendations on best practices for move ahead.

>>> The Mac version of R does not do well with either MacPorts or homebrew installation of required system packages because those package managers put them in loaction that are not recognized by the static build that is the default.
>> Using homebrew (and as far as I know Macports as well) works without major problems. The problem start when you mix standard installations / homebrew / Macports. This results in problems.
> The fact that the original poster had obviously not used MacPorts (and perhaps did not even know what it was) suggests that the appropriate reply should be to discourage him from using it and offer a strategy with greater likelihood of success in combination with the more typical installation method for the Mac R fork.
I  am brand new to this list, but have been using R since about 2000.
The reason I'm here is to translate Mac-speak like "homebrew" and
"MacPorts" into grounded advice that lets me use R as effectively on my
new Mac as my Windows and Linux machines.  I appreciate John's
predicament and this approach to answering his question is highly
informative to me as I lurk and learn.   Thanks from this newbie Mac user.

Robert W. Baer, Ph.D.
Professor of Physiology
Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
A T Still University of Health Sciences
800 W. Jefferson St
Kirksville, MO 63501
660-626-2321 Department