[R-SIG-Mac] R GUI very slow under mac OS 10.12.5 (Sierra)

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed May 31 19:15:06 CEST 2017

> On May 27, 2017, at 6:44 AM, Martin Batholdy via R-SIG-Mac <r-sig-mac at r-project.org> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> I just switched to a new 2016 Macbook Pro and noticed that R is very slow when used over the R app. Using R via the terminal is significantly faster.

Can you be more specific as of what is slow and how to reproduce it?

There was a report that the console UI gets slower in Sierra as the length of the output increases - you can clear the console to avoid that, but the cause is so far unknown, likely related to Xcode 8.3 an Sierra interaction since the problem has not appeared in Mavericks builds for R (try using R 3.3.3 to see if you see the same problem).

> Especially, drawing figures in quartz is really slow and sometimes the following error message is printed – but this might be unrelated to the speed issue:
>
> IMKInputSession presentFunctionRowItemTextInputViewWithEndpoint:completionHandler: : [self textInputContext]=0x0 *NO* NSRemoteViewController to client, NSError=Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4099 "The connection from pid 0 was invalidated from this process." UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=The connection from pid 0 was invalidated from this process.}, com.apple.inputmethod.EmojiFunctionRowItem

I have not seen that error, is it reproducible?