[R-SIG-Mac] R 3.4.0 problem

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat May 27 05:57:36 CEST 2017

> On May 26, 2017, at 7:13 PM, Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek at r-project.org> wrote:
>

>> On May 16, 2017, at 4:01 PM, David Winsemius <dwinsemius at comcast.net> wrote:
>>

>>> On Apr 24, 2017, at 11:49 PM, catalin roibu <catalinroibu at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I have a problem with the newest R version. I'm trying to install a
>>> specific package dplR who need the gpm package and I have this error on my
>>> macbook (OS Sierra):
>>
>> Generally one reads the error messages. Often, and this is one of those cases, the first error message tells what the problem might be. You either do not have the system package GMP or it is installed in a location where the R package 'gmp' cannot find it.
>>
>> I had difficulties attempting to test the advice I found by (re-)installing the GNU GMP package from CRAN/r.research.att.com:
>>
>> http://r.research.att.com/libs/gmp-6.0.0-darwin.13-x86_64.tar.gz
>>
>> I got:
>> ~ davidwinsemius$ sudo tar fvxz ~/gmp-6.0.0-darwin.13-x86_64.tar.gz -C /
>> x usr/: Can't set user=0/group=0 for usrCan't update time for usr
>> x usr/local/
>> x usr/local/include/
>> x usr/local/lib/
>> x usr/local/share/
>> x usr/local/share/info/
>> x usr/local/share/info/dir
>> x usr/local/share/info/gmp.info
>> x usr/local/share/info/gmp.info-1
>> x usr/local/share/info/gmp.info-2
>> x usr/local/lib/libgmp.a
>> x usr/local/lib/libgmp.la
>> x usr/local/include/gmp.h
>> tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.
>>
>> Search on the "Can't update time for usr"-error brought up a bunch of stuff about 'XSAN' that I didn't really understand fully but did not seem terribly relevant ...
>>

> FWIW that simply tells you that macOS is refusing even root to modify permissions and time for /usr which is deliberate by Apple for security reasons. Since El Capitan even root doesn't have privileges to modify /usr and its subdirectories other than /usr/local. So, yes, that error is beign.

I did know that Apple had locked down /usr/ subdirectories. I'm not sure what your conclusion implies, however. I generally assume that an error message implies lack of success.  Was the effort at installation of gmp from gmp-6.0.0-darwin.13-x86_64.tar.gz actually completed? (Which means my subsequent installation using gmp-6.1.2.tar.bz2 was not necessary, but I guessing also not harmful?

Best;
David.