[R-SIG-Mac] R commander fonts on R 3.4.0

Fox, John jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed May 17 21:28:20 CEST 2017

Dear Peter,

First, thank you very much for persisting with this. I greatly appreciate it.

I believe that Brian mentioned to me years ago that he was able to get R (and the Rcmdr package) to work fine with a native version of Tcl/Tk for Macs. Beyond that, I don't recall.

> It does actually seem to work to build R against the system-supplied
> v.8.5 frameworks. However, this is Aqua-based, and the fonts are a bit
> weird (smooth, but way too small) and the Rcmdr menus get moved to the
> top bar.

Moving the menus to the top bar is desirable, in my opinion, because it's what Mac users expect. If the problem is simply with the font sizes, I should be able to adjust that automatically, as I do now.

> I am pretty sure by now that all this stuff is a generic tcltk build
> problem and way out of John's domain. (Thanks for posting the font code,
> John. I hope I can get around to having a closer look at it at some
> point. Those .Tcl(paste()) constructs make me cringe a bit, but not all
> are easily eliminated.)

If you see a better way to do this, of course I'd appreciate that. It took a fair amount of work to adjust the fonts so that they look right on Windows, macOS, and Linux systems.

Best,
 John