[R-SIG-Mac] how to install RODBC on macOS Sierra 10.12.4?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Fri May 5 17:32:37 CEST 2017

On 2017-05-05 8:38 AM, Marc Schwartz wrote:
>> On May 5, 2017, at 7:51 AM, Spencer Graves <spencer.graves at prodsyse.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello:
>>

>>       I recently upgraded to R 3.4.0, and I've so far been unable to "install.packages('RODBC')" or "R CMD INSTALL RODBC_1.3-15.tar.gz". Both end with the following:
>>

>> configure: error: "ODBC headers sql.h and sqlext.h not found"
>> ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘RODBC’
>>

>>       I had RODBC installed in R 3.3, but that was before I upgraded to macOS Sierra 10.12.4.   I've tried to RTFM, but I don't know which FMTR, and I can't decrypt the documentation I've found that seem relevant.  I couldn't find the answer in Ripley's "ODBC Connectivity" vignette.
>>

>>       "iodbc-42.5/iodbc/README.MACOSX" says, "You first need to install the latest Mac OS X Developer Packages, which can be found at "http://developer.apple.com/tools".  I think I've done that, but I don't know how to check it.
>>

>>       "iodbc-42.5/iodbc/README.MACOSX" continues, "Then, you can open the Xcode Project Builder files under mac/iODBCinst, mac/iODBC, mac/iODBCtest and mac/iODBCtestw,".  I don't know how find any of these.  It further continues, "or execute the following commands from a terminal session to build all the frameworks and demo applications:
>>

>>     $ cd mac
>>     $ make"
>>

>>       I just did "$ cd mac" and got, "-bash: cd: mac: No such file or directory".  Evidently, I need to substitute something for "mac" here, but I don't know what.
>>

>>       Suggestions?  Thanks,
>>       Spencer Graves
>
> Spencer,
>
> The incantation that I use is:
>
> install.packages("RODBC", type = "source",
>                   configure.args = "--with-odbc-include=/PATH.TO/iODBC/libiodbc-3.52.12/include/")
>
> where the header files are located in the 'include' folder above, which is extracted from the iODBC source tarball available here:
>
>    http://www.iodbc.org/dataspace/doc/iodbc/wiki/iodbcWiki/Downloads#Stable%20Version%203.52.12
>
> There is information in Prof. Ripley's RODBC vignette in Appendix A Installation on page 19.

Hi, Marc:  Thanks.  With your encouragement, I reread p. 19 of Ripley's
RODBC vignette you mentioned, and got that to work.  (It contains a
stray quote <'>, which confused me the first few times I read it,
because I was not familiar with that syntax.  I also posted this
question and and my answer with your suggestions to StackOverflow
(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/43804850/how-to-install-rodbc-on-macos-sierra-10-12-4/43808419#43808419).
Spencer Graves