[R-SIG-Mac] pcre on OS X

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Mar 11 08:42:47 CET 2017

On 10/03/2017 20:38, de Leeuw, Jan wrote:
> Not sure of this has already been discussed. There is now a libpcre
> sitting in /usr/lib (OS X 10.12.4) and R-devel does not like

OS X / macOS has had pcre 8.02 for years, and R has required at least
8.12 for years.  (opensource.apple.com is currently broken, so I cannot
check how many years.)

> that version. So I had to use LDFLAGS to link with the pcre from
> homebrew if I wanted the build to finish.

If all else fails, read the manual (§C.3):

'Those and other binary components are available from
https://r.research.att.com/libs: you will need pcre and xz (for libzma)
as recent macOS versions provide libraries but not headers for these
(and the system pcre is too old at version 8.02).'

That build of pcre 8.36 is static, and so avoids any problems with
dynamic load paths.  It is trivial to build later versions (statically)
from the PCRE sources for yourself.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk