[R-SIG-Mac] R.app crashes at startup on MacOS Sierra

David Diez david.m.diez at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 18:00:27 CET 2017

I reinstalled macOS yesterday as well as R and MacTeX, and everything is
working again!
Killed half a day, but I'm excited to have things back :)
The reinstallation instructions I followed are at
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25649?locale=en_US

*I'm curious what machines others who are encountering issues are using.*
Here are the two machines where I encountered problems:

   - My personal machine: Macbook Pro Retina Mid 2014 (13-inch). Fixed
   after macOS Sierra reinstall!
   - My work machine: Macbook Pro Retina Mid 2014 (15-inch). I haven't
   tried reinstalling macOS Sierra on this machine.

My suspicion at this point is that the macOS Sierra update is at fault:

   - Reinstalling programs before the full macOS reinstall did not fix the
   problems.
   - Going nuclear and reinstalling macOS, then reinstalling the same
   programs did solve the problems.
   - I have not changed any of the files I was using or changed what
   programs I use.

For the record, here are the exact programs where I was running into issues:

   - Regular R installation and R GUI from CRAN. I ran into problems when
   I'd open an .R text file when R was not already open.
   - MacTeX installation and the TeXShop editor. The errors I encountered
   were when using BIbTeX in particular -- typesetting using BibTeX worked
   fine, but the files it generated would cause a failure when going back to
   the regular LaTeX typesetting.

Given that none of my colleagues seem to have been hit with the issue,
guessing that only a small minority of machines are affected.