[R-SIG-Mac] compiling with R-3.4.0

Charles C. Berry ccberry at ucsd.edu
Thu Jun 8 20:26:53 CEST 2017

On Thu, 8 Jun 2017, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> Charles,
>
> Including another SDK's includes manually won't work, because you can't
> mix SDKs - and you shouldn't need to do that.
>
> If in doubt, run sudo xcode-select --install which will install any
> missing tools - you still do need regular Xcode installation in addition
> to the clang+fortran compilers. You shouldn't need to touch CPPFLAGS -
> if you do, something is broken in your system.

Simon,

Thanks for the reply.  As of yesterday, everything seemed to be working OK
without any ~/.R/MakeVars file. viz, I can compile packages using the
binary you provide for R-3.4.0.  Also, I can configure, make, and make
check R-devel using the clang4 you provide.

I can't say what is different now from before.  I just updated pcre and
added pkg-config, java JDK, and cairo.  I recently re-installed command
line tools, but I have had these `forever'.

Anyway, all is now well.

Thanks,

Chuck

[snip]

>> TL;DR: I can compile C/Fortran to install packages that need
>> compilation, but I get loads of warnings.  I must have quirks in my
>> setup, possibly including the need to add system header files
>> compatible with clang4.

[snip]