[R-SIG-Mac] Poor plotting performance on Mac OS X

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 10:21:06 CEST 2017

Pretty clear that the process is getting stuck in Apple-graphics land, then. This could be inefficiency of the device driver, but also just ... Apple. Could you try running the same thing to a PDF (AFAIR, just open the device with pdf(file="myplot.pdf"), then print(plt), then dev.off()). It would be good to know if this is fast, and also whether viewing the resulting PDF in Preview is slow (in which case it is Not Our Problem).

Also, does running the Activity Monitor give any clues? Like, perhaps you are running out of memory.

-pd

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501