[R-SIG-Mac] Feature request: install R in ~/Library/Frameworks

Gábor Csárdi csardi.gabor at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 17:17:54 CET 2017

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 4:07 PM, Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk>
wrote:

> On 07/02/2017 15:26, Gábor Csárdi wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 10:54 AM, Gábor Csárdi <csardi.gabor at gmail.com
>> <mailto:csardi.gabor at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 10:22 AM, Prof Brian Ripley
>>     <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk <mailto:ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk>> wrote:
>>     [...]
>>
>>         Well, you have missed the point.  R itself allows you to do
>>         that: do read 'R Installation and Administration'.
>>

>>     [...]
>>
>>         For use as 'R' from a terminal, multiple CRAN distributions (of
>>         3.x.y for different 'x') can easily be installed and used
>>         together: that is §4.3 of the manual.
>>

>>     Yes, I indeed missed this. Thanks much for the explanation!
>>

>> One more question. I suppose if I install the various minor versions on
>> different disks (e.g. I want 3.3.2 and 3.3.3 as well), that would work
>> fine as well, and I don't even need pkgutil --forget? Or am I missing
>> something?
>>

> You can install in different locations.  I have never tried using
> different 'volumes' (in Apple parlance), but AFAIK Apple treats them
> separately (with separate records of packages installed).

Maybe I am missing the point again, but just installing in different
locations does not seem to work. E.g.:

❯ installer -pkg tmp/R-3.3.2.pkg -target CurrentUserHomeDirectory
installer: Package name is R 3.3.2 for Mac OS X 10.9 or higher (Mavericks
build)
installer: Upgrading at base path /Users/gaborcsardi
installer: The upgrade was successful.

❯ grep Library/Frameworks/R.framework
Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/R
R_HOME_DIR=/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources
R_SHARE_DIR=/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/share
R_INCLUDE_DIR=/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/include
R_DOC_DIR=/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/doc

So the installed version still refers to /Library. If there is nothing
there, then the version in ~/Library fails, of course:

❯ Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/R
Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/R: line 238:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/etc/ldpaths: No such file or
directory

Maybe you mean recompiling using a different framework location, or
different --prefix? Yes, I guess that should work.

Anyway, different volumes seem like a very good solution to me, because I
can use the stock CRAN installers. I'll try it in a second.

Gabor