[R-SIG-Mac] mirroring the cran build environment for R 3.4.x under El-capitan + (10.11+) MacOS

BATES Timothy tim.bates at ed.ac.uk
Sat Aug 5 19:40:38 CEST 2017

Hi all,

Couple of  questions about how CRAN is building packages for OSX under R 3.4.X El Cap+, prompted by our package (OpenMx) failing CRAN builds (despite building fine locally).

Q1: Is it the case that there’s no equivalent of the win.build system for package creators to test their packages against before submission?

We thought  https://builder.r-hub.io would be ideal for this but apparently r.hub and the CRAN build are differenent? It would seem ideal to set-up r-hub identically to the CRAN check machine… Is that possible?

Q2: Can someone (Simon?) clarify here what the CRAN mac build system is? Specifically:

1. For Clang one uses  clang-4.0.0-darwin15.6-Release.tar.gz<http://r.research.att.com/libs/clang-4.0.0-darwin15.6-Release.tar.gz>  located at  here http://r.research.att.com/libs

2. For  Fortran one uses OS X El Capitan (10.11): download gfortran 6.1<http://coudert.name/software/gfortran-6.1-ElCapitan.dmg> from https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBinaries#MacOS (even if one if running 10.12 or 10.13, right?)

3. Make file. Is this the make file being used for CRAN check?

~/.R/Makevars

CC=/usr/local/clang4/bin/clang
CXX=/usr/local/clang4/bin/clang++
LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/clang4/lib

Many thanks if it is possible to clarify building packages to mirror CRAN check under 3.4.X

PS: It would be great to have an Apple installer package for Clang… Perhaps getting installer packages for the build environment would be a good project for https://builder.r-hub.io ? (they are seeking <$10k projects with wide benefit, and I would have thought that keeping up an apple pkg for building R would fit that bill perfectly!!