[R-SIG-Mac] R.app fails to run under non-Sierra OSX versions

Thomas Obadia thomas.obadia at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 10:30:02 CEST 2017

Dear R team,

I've recently come across a strange bug which seems undocumented and
contradicts the INSTALL instructions from the sources of R-GUI.

Running El Capitan, I usually install all my distributions using Homebrew
and keep everything up-to-date (except for the OS which is not Sierra yet).
The current R.app 1.6.8 fails to run on El Capitan, with a warning "You're
running 10.11.6. This app requires 10.12".

My first thought was a Homebrew mix-up in the binary distribution, but the
Github issue pointed to somthing else (see:
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-science/issues/5411#issuecomment-293030482).
The binary they build is using -target R -configuration Release

The install instructions from Mac-GUI-1.68.tar.gz seem to be out of date as
they still detail SnowLeopard64 build which seem not included anymore. Is
there any reason why a normal build of R.app would not run on OSX versions
other than Sierra ?

All the best,
Thomas