[R-SIG-Mac] gputools package installation on Mac perhaps fixed

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Nov 5 23:01:36 CET 2016

My old video card was dying and I got a donation of an older nVidia card (NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 1536 MB) I tried installing gputools from source using current CRAN image. Had earlier installed the most recent CUDA compiler version 8  (cuda_8.0.47_mac_network-dmg). The CRAN pages says no version is available. I'm currently working with R 3.3.1 patched on an El Cap version 10.11.6 (15G1108) using an early 2008 MacPro.  Ran into compiler difficulties with the source image, but after corresponding with Josh Buckner and sharing the installation logs and errors he tweaked some of the configure file and  built a new version that does compile (with many warnings that he says are all safe to ignore). He suggests trying the github version 1.2 and posting any difficulties there:

install.packages("devtools")
library(devtools)
install_github("nullsatz/gputools")

He suggested announcing that we did this together, but I think all the intellectual credit goes to him and the other authors.
--

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA