[R-SIG-Mac] tab complete drop down doesn’t adjust bottom to ensure box is visible.

Tim Bates timothy.c.bates at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 15:55:29 CET 2016

Half way through a week-long 130-person modelling workshop where all the students are using R, and I am reminded how nice R.app is, but also of a couple of niggles, which I thought I’d pass on.

1. The tab-completion drop-down doesn’t adjust it’s location to ensure the bottom coordinate of the dropdown menu is on screen, RStudio handles this correctly. I guess the algorithm is something like

             dropdown.top.y = carat.y + max(0, dropdown.height - (screen.bottom - window.bottom.y))

2. The function status-bar parameter list is still fixed in a tiny font - should just take the main console font size and resize the status bar to suit.

3. For some reason whenever I type “?foo” and then tab complete, I get an extra question mark added, so

?foo ⇥
??foo_bar

which does a global search

Best, tim