[R-SIG-Mac] R vs. Microsoft R-Open updates?

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Jun 28 01:47:45 CEST 2016

> On Jun 26, 2016, at 5:40 PM, Carl Witthoft <carl at witthoft.com> wrote:
>
> Hi.
> I D/L'd the 3.3.1 version of R for MacOSX and ran the installer. After getting some "can't load" error messages, I discovered that the installer had updated the MicrosoftROpen.app, not the "vanilla"  R.app . Is this expected behavior, or am I making a hash of my apps and libraries by trying to keep both R and MRO available on my (Yosemite) machine?

I don't know about MRO (sounds somewhat paradoxical ;)), but Apple Installer simply upgrades the application on your machine no matter where you moved it (whether you like it or not). If it really did upgrade your MRO app then it means Microsoft doesn't even bother changing the ID of the app which means they still claim it's our CRAN R which sounds really wrong given the name...