[R-SIG-Mac] R 3.3.1 for OS X 10.7.5

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Aug 5 18:48:38 CEST 2016

On 05/08/2016 10:59, Vittorio De Martino wrote:
> As a long run user of R on linux and mac os x I'm an absolute beginner with this list.
> I have been smoothly using R on my macbook with Lion 10.7.5 regularly updating it by means of the CRAN binary precompiled distributions also resorting to http://r.research.att.com/.
> Now I see that the new version  3.3.1 is only available for Mavericks 10.9 and there's no a precompiled distribution (even in http://r.research.att.com/).
> Does this mean that from now on support for Lion (or Snowleopard) binary precompiled distribution is terminated forever or is there a way to compile R 3.3.1?
> Should I stick forever to 3.2.5?
> Ciao
> Vittorio

 From the manual (and please do follow the posting guide and read it):

C.3 OS X

(‘OS X’ will be renamed to ‘macOS’ from version 10.12 ‘macOS Sierra’ in
late 2016.)

The instructions here are for ‘x86_64’ builds on 10.9 (Mavericks) or
later. In principle58 R can be built for 10.6 to 10.8 but these have not
been tested recently.

and the footnote says

[58] It will be necessary to install later versions of software such as
libcurl.

You do realize that your OS is long unsupported by Apple and has
insecure versions of a lot of its system software?

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk