[R-SIG-Mac] Success with gfortran 5.1 on El Cap and R 3.3.0; was ... Error in compiling package with Fortran 4.8.2 on El Cap

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Thu Apr 21 20:23:52 CEST 2016

> On 21 Apr 2016, at 19:15, David Winsemius <dwinsemius at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> 18 months ago I volunteered to fix a very tiny error in the documentation in the abandoned package, muhaz, so I am now the maintainer. I'm trying to be a responsible maintainer and test my package with R 3.3.0 in advance of its release. (I hope the fact that I have not gotten any email notices from CRAN about failed installation attempts means that all is well with my package under the R 3.3.0 and CRAN's current build machine.)
>
> Since then I have migrated to El Capitan (which I believe is not yet the current build OS for OSX branches of R).  I was trying to be a responsible maintainer and test my package with R 3.3.0 in advance of its release.  I was getting an error when building from source that my googling efforts suggested is due to incompatibility between El Cap and earlier versions of Fortran. I do not usually get errors with source packages because I have attempted in my halting manner to keep an up-to-date toolchain: XCode, Command_Line_Tools_OS_X_10.11_for_Xcode_7.3 and up until now gfortran-4.8.2-darwin13 from the r.att.research.com site.
>
> * installing to library ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.3/Resources/library’
> * installing *source* package ‘muhaz’ ...
> ** package ‘muhaz’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> ** libs
> gfortran-4.8   -fPIC  -g -O2  -c muhaz.f -o muhaz.o
> gfortran-4.8: warning: couldn’t understand kern.osversion ‘15.4.0
> f951: internal compiler error: Illegal instruction: 4

Are you compiling on a computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo?
I had  that problem too.

See here https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2014-May/010894.html
and Simon's reply.

I now have a computer with an i5 processor; the gfortran 4.8.2 from r.att.research.com works without that message.

> The GNU Fortran Project mailing list has several contributions from François-Xavier Coudert who suggests that El Cap users install Fortran from a disk image installer that he makes available:
>
> http://coudert.name/software.html
>
> gfortran 5.2 for Yosemite:  http://coudert.name/software/gfortran-5.2-Yosemite.dmg  , which I downloaded.
> .... noting that the author says "works well with El Capitan"
>
> I've also found several other versions of gfortran at:
>
> http://hpc.sourceforge.net/index.php
>
> ... where versions 5.1, 5.3,and 6.0 are listed as appropriate for El Capitan.
>
> It wasn't clear to me whether I needed to have matching sets of gcc and gfortran if I used these, but it appeared to me from the material I read in the R Install/Admin Guide that I would not need to add that additional complexity.
>
> I wondered:
> 1) If I install this version of Fortran, what are my odds of failing to fix my problem and also crippling my capacity for compiling packages from source that were compiled and tested on Fortran 4.8.2. (I've decided to take the risk.)
>
> 2) If I succeed with this for compiling muhaz, then will I later need to revert and what will I need to do to revert if needed.

In this thread https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2015-October/011641.html
Brian Ripley in reply to my query said that Coudert's gfortran could be used.

Berend