[R-SIG-Mac] Experience with upgrade to 3.3.0 beta

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Apr 14 04:31:26 CEST 2016

I upgraded to 3.3.0 beta from: R-3.3-branch-mavericks-signed.pkg (70Mb, installer incl. GUI)  at the suggestion of Gabor Grothendieck who wanted to know whether Ryacas would install from github in R 3.3.0. So I installed the binary that includes GUI: R.app (which now displays the modern R logo).  It installed without difficulty on El Cap running on an ancient machine (early 2008 MacPro). I then decided to move all my package folders over to the new ../library/ and used a Terminal command to do it:

 cp -r -n /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.2/Resources/library/  /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.3/Resources/library/

I then ran:

update.packages(check.built=TRUE, ask=FALSE)

I replied "y" to questions about building from source and got mostly success on a reasonably large number of packages with just a few problems:

The downloaded source packages are in
	‘/private/var/folders/yq/m3j1jqtj6hq6s5mq_v0jn3s80000gn/T/RtmpHlANa6/downloaded_packages’
Warning messages:
1: In install.packages(update[instlib == l, "Package"], l, repos = repos,  :
  installation of package ‘rgdal’ had non-zero exit status
2: In install.packages(update[instlib == l, "Package"], l, repos = repos,  :
  installation of package ‘rgeos’ had non-zero exit status
3: In install.packages(update[instlib == l, "Package"], l, repos = repos,  :
  installation of package ‘Rglpk’ had non-zero exit status
4: In install.packages(update[instlib == l, "Package"], l, repos = repos,  :
  installation of package ‘RODBC’ had non-zero exit status
5: In install.packages(update[instlib == l, "Package"], l, repos = repos,  :
  installation of package ‘RPostgreSQL’ had non-zero exit status

I tried updating GDAL from

GDAL 1.11 Complete: http://www.kyngchaos.com/files/software/frameworks/GDAL_Complete-1.11.dmg

and then reinstalling rgdal without success

Efforts to install the other failures were ... also failures.

None of these packages are essential to my typical use of R, but I'm thinking others may encounter similar problems, so if there are is a better installation process, perhaps you could let the list know.

--

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA